Sunday, November 18, 2007

Chapter 6

First Technology is awesome, it’s 65 degrees out, clear skies, and I’m chilling out under a tree writing this post.

Okay, now onto Chapter 5. The one thing I learned from this chapter is that medical records are not as secure as I thought they were. Now hopefully things have changed from when this book was written, because this chapter paints a dismal picture of the way Medical records are traded as a commodity. Not only that but with amount of interest others can have in your medical records. The story that concerned me the most in this chapter was the part of the school bus driver and the parents being able to obtain records about his mental health through the courts.

The reason this shocked me the most was that when my daughter was born two weeks ago and my wife was in the hospital I ran into a medical records situation. I was out requesting some more juice for her and myself and the nurse asked me which room she was in and I said 330 and there sitting on the nurse station was her medical record book. I then said “That’s her book right there” and the nurse then told me that I could not look at it. I was kind of shocked with that being her husband and the babies daddy but could understand because I’m not her. I then asked well can she look at it. And the nurse said yes but not until later because of some reasons or another. That I found shocking because if they are her records she should be able to look at them whenever she wants.

I really hope that then the situation has changed then because it would be sad that if this is the case. That someone else has more rights or can obtain rights to your records faster than you can.

1 comment:

Suzan said...

Andrew, congratulations again on your new little one!

Like you, I don’t believe medical records should be made public as in the case of the bus driver. I agree that it is concerning not to be able to have access to our personal medical records. I believe you can actually see your own personal records, and if you indicate it as a preference on your HIPAA release, a spouse can also view your records.

Recently my sister was in the hospital and I was taking care of her. Even though I had been given the responsibility of making decisions as well as access to her records, most of the nurses preferred to only discuss things in her presence. Overall I found this consideration of her privacy and information comforting.