Friday, November 16, 2007

Chapter 2

The aspect I found most interesting about this chapter was that social security numbers were stated as a non-effeicent way of coming up with a primary indentificaiton number for people. First, always thought just because it was the norm that it was correct. However, the thought that it doesn't use a check digit or a hash number is kind of disturbing. Pretty much every bank account or credit card uses these features and you would think that the number we use to label every United States Citizen would have theses types of security features. Secondly, I found it interesting that the social securtiy number kind of evolved and was mandated by the government to become a primary key for all, that may be another reason why so many people want to keep social security (I say get rid of it or privatize but that's a totally other blog). That it would eliminate a tracking system for citizens activities.

The chapter also highlighted two other aspects of which I have short neat stories about that kind of bring it to the real world. These two aspects are identity theft and individuals suffering from miss information/keying errors especially by the government.

First identity theft, my wife and I were on our honeymoon last December and were staying at a hotel in Orlando. We checked in went up to our room and started watching tv, and about two hours later we got a call from someone saying that there was a credit card error on check in and then just needed my number to get rechecked in. The individual that called knew my name and I thought it sounded legitimate but I did say to him "Okay, I'll come down and do it." but he said it's easy to do over the phone so I go over to get my credit card and call the front desk on the other room line and sure enough the other guy hears this phone call and hangs up. Thank God for being cautious and some of my undergrad ISM and AIS classes.

Secondly, this is quick one, because of a keying error and goverment databases not "talking to each other " I was registered with a wrong social under selective service, it is now fixed, but it was like this for the last 5 years and I did not notice until I got a job this year. Whew, thank God there wasn't a draft, I could have been hit with draft dodging possibly.

Citibank Identity theft commericial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5jiYWuNKo&feature=related

1 comment:

Samantha said...

The whole concept of the social security number is an interesting one. Like you said it doesn't have a check digit or any sort of form of security probably because of the role it initially played in America. It is such a sensitive source of information for people and you wouldn't believe the people on a daily basis who have access to it and other information about you. Scary thoughts.