Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Chapter 10

The picture Garfinkel paints in this chapter to me is quiet scary. The comparison between the arguments for human aviation and development of AI is also interesting. Looking back today we would think human aviation, we were just behind the ball on it. Today aviation is a normal part of existence especially in business culture. To where we automatically feel it's a requirement to travel and not an added benefit.

I personally hope that I do not live to see the development of AI. It seems to Matrix like to where we could all be enslaved by out creation. And just to be a conspiracy theorist and somewhat historian, it wouldn't be the first time that human's greatest creation was it's downfall. Look at the Roman Empire, the Roman's use of roads ended up aiding the barbarian raids on the city. It would not seem to weird for AI to be downfall of the great computers we created. I do think that AI is possible especially after the Quantum computing presenation this semester. I only hope that if it does happen it is under our control still as a second class citizen, and that we can always pull the plug.

Lastly, one thing I do not mind and has been quiet successful in business is technology that mimics AI. Such technologies were shown in the Disney groups presentation. This is were I think there is a good possibility for growth, and return on investment. Such technologies can help bring fictional characters to life and which we can interact with. What do yall think?

1 comment:

Travis said...

Your thoughts on AI actually being the downfall of creation are definitely interesting. The whole idea of AI seems a little farfetched to me to begin with, but as far as it being a downfall isn’t. I never knew the story of the roads and the Roman Empire. I will have to remember that one. I do believe that someone’s creation will cause the downfall of societies one day. Most likely not in the near future but definitely one day. Nonetheless, it will be because of some technology. Being able to pull the plug is key. If we don’t set up safeguards that enables it to be stopped, we could possibly be in some real trouble.